Parents of Young Adults: What You Need to Know When a Medical Crisis Hits

As a parent, you’re most likely used to managing the legal and medical affairs of your children, as circumstances require. But what happens when those “children” turn 18, and are now adults in the eyes of the law and need urgent medical attention far from home?

The simple fact is that the day your child turns 18, he or she becomes an adult, with the legal rights of an adult. What this means for you is that you lose your prior held rights to make medical and financial decisions for your child, unless your child executes legal documents giving you those rights back. Without the proper legal documents in place, accessing medical information, and even being informed about your adult child’s medical condition can be difficult and in some cases, impossible.

When sending kids off to college, it is important to consider the legal implications an accident or medical emergency might have on your ability to stay informed and participate in important decision making for your young adult child. Medical professionals have a responsibility to follow the Privacy Rule of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), which ensures medical privacy protection for all adults. Once your child turns 18, they are (from a legal perspective) no more attached to you than a stranger, making communication about medical issues tricky if your child is incapacitated and not able to grant permission on their own.

In most states, there are three legal documents which can make all the difference when a medical crisis strikes and your young adult child is far from home. Together, these documents can ensure a parent or trusted adult be kept in the loop about care and treatment when a child over the age of 18 experiences a medical event while they are away at college, traveling, or living far from home. As with most legal documents, the law varies from state to state, so be sure to seek out sound legal counsel to determine which documents suit your situation best.

HIPAA – Essentially like a permission slip, this authorization allows your adult child to specify who is allowed access to their personal medical information. Specific information can be specifically withheld, such as drug use, sexual activity, and mental health issues can so that additional privacy can be protected if desired.

Designation of Healthcare Surrogate (medical power of attorney) –  Designates an agent to make medical decisions for the young adult. This could be you, as the parent or another trusted adult. Each state has different laws governing medical power of attorney, thereby requiring different forms. Be sure to seek sound legal advice on the laws of your state, as well as the state in which your child resides.

Durable financial power of attorney – Allows the parent or another trusted adult to take care of personal business in the event the adult child is unable to do so. This form would allow the parent to take care of such important tasks such as signing tax returns, paying bills, and accessing bank accounts for the incapacitated adult child. A durable power of attorney is indeed powerful and gives broad access to sensitive financial and legal decision making and should only be given to a trusted relative or friend.

The milestones come quickly once children graduate from high school and enter into the big, wide world away from home. As your family navigates these significant rites of passage, be sure to seek sound legal counsel to determine the steps necessary to ensure excellent communication and peace of mind when a medical emergency arises. Consider including your young adult children in the process. We’re here to help your family establish the legal and medical protections you all need to live the lives you desire. In fact, this month, when you schedule and come in for a Life and Legacy Planning Session, we will create no-charge legal documents for your young adult child (under 21, who resides in Florida), as our gift to you. Call our office and mention the “Back to school special” to get scheduled.

This article is a service of the law firm of Myrna Serrano Setty, P.A.. We don’t just draft documents, we ensure you make informed and empowered decisions about life and death, for yourself and the people you love.  That’s why we offer a Life and Legacy Planning Session during which you will get more financially organized than you’ve ever been before, and make the best choices for the people you love. Call our office today at (813) 514-2946 to learn more about how we can help you.

Free Yourself From Court Interference!

The Probate court process can be expensive and time consuming. And on top of that, the idea of strangers discussing and deliberating your assets is upsetting.


When someone experiences mental incapacity, documents in their estate plan can direct a trusted person to carry out that individual’s wishes for the situation. But what if no such documents have been drafted? Then their business becomes the government’s business, too. A court proceeding called guardianship will be held to appoint guardians to manage the affairs of the incapacitated person.


When an estate goes through probate, the court oversees the gathering of the probate assets, the payment of any outstanding debts, determines whether a will is valid and identifies the heirs. Then the court decides who should receive the assets that are left after payment of debts, taxes, and costs.

Fortunately, there are ways to keep your affairs out of Court.

1. Durable Powers of attorney

With a Durable Power of attorney, you appoint an agent (also known as attorney-in-fact) to make decisions for you, be they medical or financial. It’s called “durable” because it is still valid after the incapacity of the maker of the document. That helps bypass the need for court-appointed guardianship.

2. Trusts

Trusts are agreements that hold some or all of your assets, and trustees can be either individuals or corporate entities. Trusts are designed to avoid probate. There are several types of trusts, and we can help you decide exactly which kind is best suited to your estate. By setting up and completely funding a revocable living trust, you can accomplish two important things. First, you get the peace of mind in knowing that your beneficiaries and won’t go through probate upon your death. Second, you have the flexibility to adjust your plan during your lifetime as your financial or family circumstances change.

3. Make sure your estate plan is air-tight.

Deciding on appropriate powers of attorney and drafting revocable living trusts are just two of the many steps we can take together to keep your affairs free from court involvement. With a solid estate plan put into place with the help of a trusted attorney, you can take comfort knowing that everything you’ve worked so hard to build and maintain will be passed along to only the people who matter most. Give us a call today at (813) 514-2946 to learn more about interference-proofing your estate plan.